On the descent you will come to the historic centre of San Felice which is situated
at a height of 98 metres above sea level.
Still standing today is the medieval tower, the Torre dei Templari. This was constructed
between 1240 and 1259, towards the end of the First Crusade, by the Knights of the
Templar who were a monastic military order formed in 1112. Here they established
a fortified settlement which offered Christian pilgrims protection on their journey
to the Holy Land. The tower has an unusual clock, the face has just six numbers
and a single hand moves around the dial four times in 24 hours. The hours are sounded
by a hammer which strikes a bell. The tower is now a Museum which houses the permanent
exhibition of “Homo Sapiens and Habitat”.
Adjacent is the Baronial Palace built by the Caetani family which now serves as the
Town Hall. The piazza has various restaurants, cafés and stylish shops.
Nearby is the Piazzale del Belvedere and the garden of the Vigna della Corte which
have magnificent views of the wide sweeping bay.